Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No more Mrs. Nice Guy

I'm starting to think that people who are not nice and compassionate are actually happier than those who are. Spending too much energy caring about others seems to take its toll on one's own happiness. If true altruism were possible, maybe nice people could be happy, but I think that we all eventually need something back. Maybe teenagers have it right with their all-about-me attitudes. They have self-absorption down to a science. I am going to take some lessons from my two wonderful, self-absorbed teenagers on how to only care about me, and how I feel, and what's good for me. I truly find this behavior loathesome, but it seems to work for them. The caring, compassionate route is leaving me feeling needy and sad. I know that seems counterintuitive, but there really seems to be evidence that being "too nice" is a liability.

No comments:

Post a Comment