Friday, June 5, 2009

Too Nice??

I always thought that being nice, and looking for the good qualities in others were honorable attributes. OK, they may still be honorable, but apparently they are not necessarily fulfilling or productive. 
I have recently been accused of being too nice. That's a tough thing to hear. I guess I could be considered an idealist. I should really be more cynical and harshly judgemental considering that I grew up with parents who could quickly find flaws in Mother Theresa!! I have worked hard to try to look for the good in people. In doing that, I have apparently blinded myself to the not-so-good things that I just didn't want to see. 
So, the burning question of the moment is: How do I remain "nice" while being more cautious of those who can rip my heart out? I always prided myself as being a good judge of character. When I get more comfortable with this whole blogging deal, maybe I'll share why I no longer think I'm a good judge of character. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you are being too hard on yourself. Sometimes people let us down ... and sometimes in the worst way. However, that doesn't mean you should take the blame for being a bad judge of character. We learn a lot about people (and ourselves for that matter) when the going gets tough. Some folks wilt ... or change ... or worse ...

    Hang in there ... don't question yourself ... it's too soon for that. And DON'T blame yourself. That's bad karma.

    ReplyDelete